Republicans running for governor are beginning to lock up endorsements that they intend to use to bolster their campaigns to voters.
The GOP gubernatorial primary race is heating up between Attorney General Bill Schuette and Lt. Gov. Brian Calley, both in office for eight years of complete Republican control of state government.
- Fight for soul of Michigan GOP is waged precinct by precinct.
- Old divisions, new blood: The Michigan GOP in the era of Trump
State Sen. Patrick Colbeck of Canton Township and Saginaw physician Dr. Jim Hines also are actively campaigning to succeed term-limited Gov. Rick Snyder.
Here’s a list of major endorsements so far.
Attorney General Bill Schuette
- President Donald Trump
- Vice President Mike Pence
- U.S. Reps. Paul Mitchell, R-Dryden, John Moolenaar, R-Midland, and Dave Trott, R-Birmingham
- Kathy Berden, Michigan Republican National Committeewoman
- Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker
- Michigan Chamber of Commerce
- Police Officers Association of Michigan
- Candice Miller, Macomb County public works commissioner and former congresswoman
- Oakland County Executive L. Brooks Patterson
- Oakland County Sheriff Michael Bouchard
- Ted Nugent, rock singer
- 47 Republican state lawmakers in the House and Senate
- Michigan Republican Party state committee members
- 38 Michigan county prosecutors
Lt. Gov. Brian Calley
Calley this week week announced a list of advisers he is referring to his “kitchen cabinet.” While not a traditional endorsement, the group is led by former Secretary of State Terri Lynn Land and includes Rochester Hills Mayor Bryan Barnett, Orion Township Supervisor Chris Barnett, Independence Township Supervisor Pat Kittle, Bloomfield Township Supervisor Leo Savoie, CJ Galdes, deputy state director for President Donald Trump’s 2016 campaign, and Chuck Yob, a GOP strategist and former Republican National Committeeman.
“We will be rolling out endorsements at the right time throughout the course of the campaign,” Calley campaign spokesman Mike Schrimpf told Bridge in an email.
“We previously announced an extremely strong finance committee led by (business leaders) Dan and Pamella DeVos, Phillip Fisher and Jim B. Nicholson as well as regional leadership teams. We will have additional endorsements in the very near future.”
Sen. Patrick Colbeck
- Fox News host Sean Hannity
- U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas
- Dave Agema, Republican National Committee member, former Michigan state representative
- Jack Lousma, retired NASA astronaut
- Bob Dutko, Christian talk radio host in Detroit
- Mark Gurley, Michigan Republican Party grassroots vice chairman
- Bob Lutz, former General Motors vice chairman
- Dawn Dodge, director of the speaker’s bureau for the Republican Women’s Federation of Michigan
- Rick Warzywak, director of Transformation Michigan and co-director of the Michigan Oak Initiative
- Ted Fricano, Republican activist and Ottawa County co-chairman for the 2016 Trump campaign
- David Barton, founder of national pro-family organization, WallBuilders
- William Wagner, former federal judge and U.S. Department of Justice diplomat
- Catherine Engelbrecht, president of True the Vote, an elections integrity organization
- Wes Nakagiri, founder of ReTake Our Gov
Dr. Jim Hines
Campaign spokesman David Doyle said via email Hines has received endorsements from voters, but that he didn’t expect groups to endorse his campaign since he is running against three elected politicians.